Current Time is a 24/7 international Russian-language television and digital network broadcasting in more than 20 countries, led by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty in cooperation with Voice of America. We are looking for Multimedia Producers for our new morning news program based in Kyiv. You will assist the Executive Producer in finding and creating content for the Current Time TV broadcast and associated web and social media sites.
The job requires working an early morning shift from 2:30 till 10:30.
- Research and write TV news copy and video packages. Produce original multimedia content and gather content from RFE/RL language services and news agencies. On occasion, travel to the field to produce stories and report for Current Time.
- Adapt video content produced by RFE/RL language services for use by Current Time. Coordinate with producers to obtain video files, transcripts, and translations. Adapt and rewrite original scripts into Russian. Share Current Time video materials with RFE/RL’s Multimedia department and other language services.
- Stay on top of news and events. Understand and applies RFE/RL’s code of journalistic conduct and editorial guidelines. Look far ahead on the calendar for coverage and interview opportunities. Presents coverage possibilities to Executive Producers, and other team members for discussion at the daily editorial meeting. Assist Executive Producer in coordinating story submissions by Current Time correspondents.
- Book guests and conducts studio, telephone, and Skype interviews. Develop and cultivate extensive contacts, prepare information to enable high-quality interviews. Gather videos elements for use during associated interviews.
- Assemble and edit recorded video footage into a finished project that is suitable for broadcasting. Ensures logical sequencing and the highest production values of Current Time videos. Exercises quality control for videos assembled by video editors.
- Edits raw video, if required, and makes sure all elements in the rundown are ready for air.
- Work closely with Line Producer and Executive Producer to make sure video and graphics elements are ready for air. Load ready-to-air video into Octopus, enters scripts into the teleprompter, changes scripts as determined by Executive Producer or Line Producer.
- Construct and manage the rundown before the show and in real time as needed. Consult with Executive Producer about breaking news and about changes to the rundown with regard to chyrons (lower-third graphics), scripts, and videos.
- Create and monitor the progress of show completion via the elements in the rundown, working with the Hosts/Anchors and Executive Producer to select stories, tease elements for upcoming segments and manage the program clock.
- Undergraduate BA degree in communications or journalism helpful but not required if candidate possesses the equivalent in experience.
- At least 5 years of experience working in a media company.
- Newscast experience in a daily television news gathering operation is helpful.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure and demonstrate that s/he is results oriented. The candidate must be able to work closely with the Executive and other Producers and should also have the ability to stay on top of the news and events in the region.
- An interest in international events and politics and familiarity regarding the situations in RFE/RL's target countries is desirable.
- Creative ability to enterprise and innovate in order to cultivate diverse contacts.
- Must be well-read and keep up with the latest news developments and have the ability to write sophisticated letters to high profile guests requesting interviews.
- Must have excellent research abilities and sound news judgment.
- A proactive, can-do attitude, with excellent interpersonal skills are also needed to build positive relationships with team members as well as with external partners and outside broadcasters.
- Russian language, proficient level, mandatory
- Ukrainian language, proficient level, mandatory
- English language, intermediate level, mandatory
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.