Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty (Szabad Europa) is seeking a Bureau Chief for its Budapest bureau. The Bureau Chief, under the supervision of the Hungarian Service Director, will manage all Hungary-based staff and contributors and have operational responsibility for the bureau.
Main responsibilities of position:
- Provides editorial guidance for and supervises the Service’s online input from the bureau.
- Leads daily editorial meetings.
- Coordinates planning with Prague, striving for efficiency in the use of journalistic resources and capacity.
- Coordinates with the assigned staff to ensure efficient operations of Budapest Bureau.
- Schedules all staff and sets deadlines as needed to ensure continuation of all Budapest Bureau journalistic activities.
- Represents RFE/RL in the political and media environment.
- Develops the team: recruits and motivates staff.
- Leads the team in making use of suitable new production and delivery methods in line with developing technologies.
- University degree in journalism or related field or equivalent training and experience in journalism.
- Minimum of 7 years' journalism experience and 5 years of management experience are required.
- Expertise in news journalism and ability to manage ongoing news stories.
- Excellent writing and editing skills in the language of native fluency.
- Thorough knowledge of the news needs in Hungary.
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in Hungary.
- Excellent knowledge of digital platforms, including social media, and video reporting.
- Strong commitment to journalist integrity and objectivity.
- Ability to plan and think strategically
- Ability to deal with pressure, and to work with and through others in a collaborative fashion.
- Ability to manage a team, and to motivate others towards the achievement of common goals.
- Hungarian language at native level is required.
- Fluent English language knowledge is required.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.