We are looking for a Video Switcher Operator to join RFE/RL’s Broadcast Operations team based in Kyiv. You will support a variety of TV studio productions - including LIVE broadcasts. The Video Switcher Operators need to be fast, reactive, work well under pressure, and have a solid knowledge of regional current affairs. You will follow the directions of the Control Room director and show producers and work closely with other studio operations staff to ensure programs are produced at the highest possible standard. You will also need to be able to multitask - working across various roles within the TV studio control room. The position involves shift work, including weekends, evenings, nights, public holidays and on-call to support a 24 hour broadcast schedule.
- Performs the duties of video switcher operator: edits video and TV programs live as they are being transmitted or recorded; works with the Director to visually create the program.
- Facilitates live inputs and outputs of studio programming.
- Works closely with other studio operations staff to ensure high quality images and audio.
- Sets up lighting and cameras for studio productions.
- Maintains good customer relations with producers and content providers; ensures timely delivery of recorded material to clients.
- Works closely with the Supervisor of Studio Operations to react & respond to requests from producers.
- Troubleshoots technical issues, participates in solutions, and reports irregularities.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Specialized education in audio-visual arts.
• Specialized training in the operation of television broadcasting equipment.
• At least 2 years of experience in working in a live television and radio control room and digital editing.
• Ability to communicate with people effectively and work within a team.
• Ability to act calmly under very real pressure to deliver a clean output.
• Ability to multitask.
• Ability to learn new complex subjects quickly including new technologies.
• Ability to work independently and to also accept supervision.
• Understanding of RFE/RL regional cultures, news and current affairs.
• Basic administrative skills (e.g. complete forms and reports).
• Ability to quickly anticipate, trouble-shoot and resolve problems.
• Ability to perform the physical duties of the job; must have ability to lift and move equipment up to 25 lbs. (12 kgs.).
• Ability to maintain good working relationships with external and internal clients, colleagues, and supervisors.
• Knowledge of television production requirements and television production process.
• Knowledge of vision mixing software and equipment.
• Knowledge of broadcast industry and trends.
- Ukrainian language, proficient level, mandatory
- Russian language, proficient level, mandatory
- English language, intermediate level, mandatory
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants.
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.