Accessibility links

Breaking News

Watchdog

"Vecherny Dushanbe" was founded in 1968 as the daily newspaper of the Dushanbe Committee of Tajikistan's Communist Party.
DUSHANBE -- The entire staff of the Russian-language weekly "Vecherny Dushanbe" has resigned to protest censorship and "harassment" by their owner, RFE/RL's Tajik Service reports.

Journalists at the newspaper issued a statement on January 18 announcing their resignations.

They also accused Akbar Sattor, head of the Charkhi Gardun Media Group that owns the paper, of censorship, harassment, and ignoring the country's labor law.

Gulnora Amirshoeva told RFE/RL today that the paper's staff had been under nonstop pressure for the past six months. She said Sattor repeatedly threatened to close the weekly because it is not profitable.

Amirshoeva said journalists at "Vecherny Dushanbe" asked Sattor to let them take over the paper, but he demanded a huge sum of money to do so.

Sattor rejected Amirshoeva's charges. He told RFE/RL it was true that "Vecherny Dushanbe" is unprofitable, but denied he wanted to close it.

Sattor said he planned to launch another weekly in Tajik that would have the same content as "Vecherny Dushanbe" because there is an increasingly smaller demand in Tajikistan for Russian-language newspapers.

Sattor said that despite the journalists' resignation he would try to publish the weekly as usual.

Media experts note that Sattor's situation is delicate because he is also the head of Tajikistan's Union of Journalists, and in that capacity is obliged to defend journalists' rights.

Tajik lawyer Hamza Hakimzoda said that according to the law, in cases where a conflict of interest arises the official involved should put his/her union leadership ahead of commercial interests.

"Vecherny Dushanbe" was founded in 1968 as the daily newspaper of the Dushanbe Committee of Tajikistan's Communist Party. It became independent in 1992 and, in 1996, Sattor's media group acquired it and turned it into a weekly.
Protesters showing support for Yevgeny Zhovtis in Uralsk in October 2009, shortly
ALMATY, Kazakhstan -- Rights activists in Kazakhstan say a decision to deny parole to a prominent jailed human rights defender is likely connected with a planned referendum on extending the president's term in office, RFE/RL's Kazakh Service reports.

Yevgeny Zhovtis, who is serving a four-year sentence for vehicular manslaughter, was denied parole on January 18 on the grounds that he appears impenitent.

The Kazakh Bureau for Human Rights, which Zhovtis chairs, issued a statement alleging that the decision is directly connected with plans to hold a referendum to prolong Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbaev's term in office until 2020.

"Today, Zhovtis is especially dangerous for those who try to deprive all citizens in Kazakhstan of their constitutional right to elect and be elected," the statement says.

Last week, both chambers of parliament approved the proposal to hold a nationwide referendum to prolong Nazarbaev's presidential term by 10 years, bypassing a presidential election scheduled for 2012.

Zhovtis has often spoken out about alleged rights violations by the Kazakh government.

Zhovtis was sentenced in 2009 to four years' imprisonment for killing a pedestrian in a car accident, in a case criticized by human rights groups.

He is serving that sentence in a minimum-security labor camp in the northeastern city of Oskemen.

Read more in Kazakh here

Load more

About This Blog

"Watchdog" is a blog with a singular mission -- to monitor the latest developments concerning human rights, civil society, and press freedom. We'll pay particular attention to reports concerning countries in RFE/RL's broadcast region.

Subscribe

Journalists In Trouble

RFE/RL journalists take risks, face threats, and make sacrifices every day in an effort to gather the news. Our "Journalists In Trouble" page recognizes their courage and conviction, and documents the high price that many have paid simply for doing their jobs. More

XS
SM
MD
LG