Accessibility links

Del Ponte Says Milosevic Death Adds Urgency To Karadzic, Mladic Hunt --> Carla Del Ponte, the UN's chief war crimes prosecutor (file photo) (AFP) March 12, 2006 -- The UN's chief war crimes prosecutor, Carla Del Ponte, says the death of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic makes it all the more urgent that other war crimes indictees be brought before the UN's war crimes tribunal.

The UN is currently seeking the arrest and extradition of Radovan Karadzic, the wartime Bosnian Serb leader, and wartime army commander Ratko Mladic, for crimes committed during the Balkans wars in the 1990s.

She said that the passing of Milosevic, whose was found dead in his cell on March 11, had deprived victims of the wars of justice.

Del Ponte dismissed as "rumors" allegations that Milosevic had been poisoned while in UN custody.

She said, though, that she could not rule out that Milosevic might have committed suicide.

Dutch pathologists and Serbian experts despatched by the Serbian government are carrying out an autopsy to determine the cause of death. Del Ponte said she expects initial results of the autopsy later on March 12 or on March 13, but added that the results of toxicology tests might take longer.

(compiled from news agencies)

The Fugitives

Ratko Mladic (left) confers with Radovan Karadzic during a meeting in Pale in 1993 (epa)


Ten years have passed since former Bosnian Serb leader RADOVAN KARADZIC and his former military commander General RATKO MLADIC were indicted by the Hague-based war crimes tribunal for genocide and other war crimes. The two fugitives remain at large, despite the obligation of NATO-led peacekeepers and the various governments in the region to arrest the indictees and send them to The Hague. Many people wonder why the most powerful military alliance in history and a host of governments seeking Euro-Atlantic integration remain unable to catch the two... (more)


To listen to wartime audio of Ratko Mladic, click here.

See also:

Wife Of Ex-Bosnian Serb Leader Urges Him To Surrender

War Crimes Tribunal Judge Says Trials To Exceed 2008 Deadline

Net Tightens Around Key Serb War Crimes Suspect

Coffins of Srebrenica victims being prepared for burial in October (AFP)

SREBRENICA: The July 1995 massacre of some 7,000 Muslim men and boys by Bosnian Serb fighters near the UN-designated safe haven of Srebrenica is the worst atrocity of its kind in Europe since the end of World War II. Since the incident, the name Srebrenica has become practically synonomous with ethnic cleansing....(more)

See also:

Ten Years After Srebrenica

Coming To Grips With The UN's Failure At Srebrenica

Child Of Srebrenica Returns Home For Anniversary Of Massacre

The Film That Shook Belgrade