Accessibility links

International peacekeeping troops in Zabul Province in southeastern Afghanistan (file photo) (Courtesy Photo) April 8, 2006 -- A suicide attacker blew up a car filled with explosives outside a base of NATO-led troops in the western Afghan city of Herat today.


Afghan officials said two civilians were killed.


A spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said there were no casualties among the troops.


A purported spokesman for the Taliban said they were responsible for the attack.


Earlier on April 8, the U.S. military said coalition forces killed a suspected senior Taliban commander in a shootout in the southern Helmand province on March 7.


(compiled from agency reports)

RFE/RL Afghanistan Report


SUBSCRIBE For regular news and analysis on Afghanistan by e-mail, subscribe to "RFE/RL Afghanistan Report."
XS
SM
MD
LG