Accessibility links

OSCE Head Rejects Turkmen Allegations --> Karel De Gucht (file photo) (epa) PRAGUE, June 28, 2006 (RFE/RL) -- Europe's security body, the OSCE, has rejected allegations by Turkmenistan that one of its Ashgabat staff has been involved in illegal activities.

Turkmen officials earlier this month alleged that the OSCE's human rights officer in Ashgabat, Benjamin Moreau, had helped Turkmen citizens accused of plotting against the state.

But OSCE Chairman in Office and Belgian Foreign Minister Karel De Gucht said on June 27 that the organization had every confidence in Moreau.

De Gucht said he did not understand the Turkmen accusations against Moreau, nor why it was taking so long to clear his name.