U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov (file photo) (epa)
July 12, 2006 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice today said that Iran's response to a package of incentives offered by the international community in an attempt to end the crisis prompted by Iran's pursuit of a nuclear program is "disappointing and incomplete."
Speaking before the opening of talks in Paris with foreign ministers from the six countries who made the proposal, Rice said Iran's tepid response will force the powers to decide whether to take up the matter at the Security Council.
Rice said the five permanent members of the Security Council plus Germany could decide this evening whether to continue negotiations or turn to the UN Security Council.
Some countries, including the United States, fear Iran aims ultimately to develop nuclear weapons.
Earlier in the day, Finnish Foreign Minister Erkki Tuomioja warned Iran today that it faces UN Security Council action over its nuclear development program.
Tuomioja, whose country holds the European Union's rotating presidency, said that if Iran is not ready for cooperation the process will have to continue in the UN Security Council.
(compiled from agency reports)