Accessibility links

Chechen Military Chief Orders Halt On Attacks


Moscow, May 16 (RFE/RL) -- Chechen Military Chief Aslan Maskhadov has issued a statement forbidding all attacks on senior Russian officials in Chechnya. Interfax said the statement was issued yesterday.

Russian President Boris Yeltsin has said he plans to visit the breakaway republic before the end of the month. No precise date has been set.

Russian Interior Minister Anatoly Kulikov said yesterday that Yeltsin should postpone his trip until the situation in Chechnya, in his words, "changes for the better."

But the head of the Moscow installed Chechen administration, Doku Zavgayev, said Yeltsin's safety would be guaranteed.

Russian troops are continuing efforts to destroy Chechen weaponry. Russian news agencies said today they destroyed two time bombs in the Chechen capital, Grozny.

Fresh fighting was reported in Grozny overnight. The Federal Command said four Russian serviceman had been bitten. Clashes were also reported in western Chechnya with Russian forces smelling the villages of Bamut and Stary-Achkoi early this morning.

There were no immediate reports of casualties.
XS
SM
MD
LG