Accessibility links

Afghan Interior Ministry Confirms 18 Killed In Badakhshan Ambush

  • RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan

KABUL -- Afghanistan's Interior Ministry has revised the death toll from a deadly ambush in northern Badakhshan Province on September 18.

The ministry released a statement on September 20 saying it was "deeply saddened" by the deaths of 18 police officers and the wounding of 13 others in an attack in Badakhshan's Wardoj district.

On September 19, local officials had said 20 officers had been killed in an ambush on a police convoy.

The attack came after several days of fighting to clear Taliban and foreign fighters from the region.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the ambush and said its fighters had also taken 12 police officers and soldiers prisoner.

The Interior Ministry denied any of its troops were captured.

With reporting by AFP