Accessibility links

At least two people have been killed and a dozen wounded after a suicide bomber detonated his explosives in eastern Afghanistan.

The explosion occurred early on July 2 in the city of Jalalabad, near the volatile border with Pakistan.

The spokesman for the governor of Nangarhar Province, Attaullah Khogyani, said the suicide attack targeted the residence of Haji Hayat, who leads an anti-Taliban militia group.

Khogyani said Hayat has also led a campaign against Islamic State militants in Nangarhar’s Kot district.

Hayat was not hurt in the attack.

Kot has witnessed fierce clashes between Afghan security forces and pro-government militias fighting against IS extremists.

The government is equipping hundreds of the province's residents with weapons and basic training to oppose the extremist groups.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Khogyani added that the injured had been taken to hospital for treatment.

Based on reporting by ToloNews and Khaama
XS
SM
MD
LG