A U.S. military spokesman says neither NATO nor U.S. forces were involved in an air strike that reportedly killed 11 Afghan police and counternarcotics officials in southern Afghanistan.
U.S. Colonel Brian Tribus said in a statement on September 7 that there were "no strikes conducted by U.S. or NATO forces in Helmand Province on 6 September."
An unidentified Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman said earlier that NATO forces had conducted an air strike that killed the Afghan officials on September 6.
Tribus said U.S. forces had conducted "kinetic strikes" only in the Maiwand district of Kandahar Province "to eliminate threats to the force."
An official said four officers from the Interior Ministry's Antinarcotics Department were also wounded in the incident.
Based on reporting by AFP and AP