Accessibility links

France Says Seven Arrested In Antiterror Raids, Attack Foiled


France remains in a state of emergency a year after attacks by Islamic State militants on Paris left 130 people dead.

France remains in a state of emergency a year after attacks by Islamic State militants on Paris left 130 people dead.

French authorities say they have broken up a terrorist ring plotting an attack in France.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve announced on November 21 that seven individuals of French, Moroccan, and Afghan origin were arrested in Strasbourg and Marseille over the weekend.

The arrests of the suspects aged between 29 and 37 years "enabled us to prevent a long-planned terror attack on our soil," Cazeneuve added.

The minister didn't identify the target of the planned attack.

France remains in a state of emergency a year after attacks by Islamic State militants on Paris left 130 people dead.

Cazeneuve said 418 people had been arrested as part of counterterror operations since the start of the year.

Strasbourg has been on high alert ahead of the opening of its Christmas market on November 25.

Based on reporting by AFP, Reuters, and AP
XS
SM
MD
LG