Iranian President Hassan Rohani says there is "no possibility" for Tehran's nuclear deal with world powers to be overturned by U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, despite Trump's threat to do so.
Iranian state television quoted Rohani on November 9 as telling his cabinet that Tehran's "understanding in the nuclear deal was that the accord was not concluded with one country or government but was approved by a resolution of the UN Security Council and there is no possibility that it can be changed by a single government."
The 2015 accord provided for international sanctions against Iran to be lifted in exchange for guarantees that it would not pursue a nuclear weapons capability.
Trump has called the deal "disastrous" and said it would be "No. 1 priority" to dismantle it.
Earlier on November 9, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Trump should remain committed to the nuclear deal, saying that "every U.S. president has to understand the realities of today's world" and "stick to agreements, to engagements undertaken."
Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei replied to Trump's remarks earlier this year by saying that he would happily "burn" the agreement if that was the case.
Iran's Atomic Energy Organization said it was prepared for any eventuality.
"We have defined our nuclear program in such a way that we can continue in any situation," spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi told state media.
Based on reporting by AFP, Tasnim, and IRNA