More than 50 people are reported to have been killed in an attack on a casino in the northern Mexican city of Monterrey.
Authorities said six or more gunmen on August 25 entered the Casino Royale and doused the premises with a flammable liquid, starting a fire that engulfed the building and trapped customers and employees inside.
Nuevo Leon state Governor Rodrigo Medina told the Televisa network that 53 people had been confirmed dead in the attack.
"These unspeakable acts of terror will not go unpunished,” Mexican National Security spokesman Alejandro Poire said.
“We will pursue and capture the culprits. They will pay for this crime that is without name, without morals, and is unacceptable. As with all other criminals operating in the area and who have committed barbarous acts also they, on this occasion, will be put before justice and will pay for their crimes."
Monterrey, Mexico's third-biggest city, is reported to have seen increasing criminal violence recently, much of it connected to drug cartels or organized crime groups.
compiled from agency reports