Friday, December 19, 2014


Afghanistan

Afghan Army Says Regains Control Of Helmand District

x
By RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan

Afghan officials say the army has regained control of Sangin district of southern Helmand Province, which was attacked in a major Taliban offensive last week.

In an exclusive interview with RFE/RL, Sangin district chief Suliman Shah said June 30 that overall security has been re-established.

However, fighting is reported to continue in some areas.

Casualty figures are difficult to independently verify.

Four districts came under attack after the Taliban on June 20 launched an offensive along the northern arc of the Helmand River to retake territory recently vacated by U.S. troops and handed over to the control of Afghan government security forces.

The other three districts are Nowzad, Kajaki, and Musa Qala.

Afghan government officials estimate more than 800 militants took part in the assault.

More than 2,000 families fled the fighting.

 
With reporting by  Reuters

Most Popular