Friday, August 01, 2014


Armenia

Nagorno-Karabakh Claims 'Neutralization' Of Saboteurs From Azerbaijan

By RFE/RL's Armenian Service

Authorities in Azerbaijan's breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh claim their forces have succeeded in a special operation aimed at "neutralizing saboteurs" from Azerbaijan.

A statement issued by the de facto Defense Ministry of the unrecognized state on July 14 did not specify the exact number of "destroyed saboteurs."

Reports last week said Azerbaijani "saboteurs" had killed an Armenian officer and wounded the wife of another officer in Armenia-controlled Kelbajar district, sandwiched between Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh.

On July 10, Nagorno-Karabakh authorities said they had captured at least one attacker, whom they identified as Shahbaz Quliyev.

The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry denied the claims and said Quliyev is not an officer in the Azerbaijani Army.

Baku and Yerevan remain locked in hostilities over Nagorno-Karabakh, which was seized from Azerbaijan by Armenian-backed separatists during a devastating war in the early 1990s.

Most Popular