Outgoing CIA Director David Petraeus has told lawmakers that he believed from the very outset that the deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya was a terrorist strike.
Petraeus testified at closed-door hearings on November 16 before the House of Representatives and Senate intelligence committees that are investigating the September 11 attack.
The attack left four Americans dead, including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens.
Lawmakers later said Petraeus told them the CIA initial assessment referred to the raid as a terrorist attack but that the reference was removed from the final version.
He wasn't sure which federal agency removed it.
Officials initially described the attack in connection with protests against an anti-Muslim video, although President Barack Obama said on September 12 that "no acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for."
Petraeus resigned as CIA chief last week after acknowledging an extramarital affair.
Based on reporting by Reuters and AP