Friday, August 22, 2014


News

Kidnapped Red Cross Worker Freed In Yemen

x
A spokesman for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) says that a French Red Cross worker who was kidnapped in Yemen nearly three months ago has been released.

The spokesman told reporters on July 14 that Benjamin Malbrancke, 28, had been handed over two days earlier by a group called Ansar al-Shari'a.

Malbrancke was kidnapped in western Hudayda Province on April 21 while traveling in a marked ICRC vehicle.

Who carried out the kidnapping is still unclear as are the circumstances of Malbrancke's release.

A Yemeni official told the AFP news agency that the release was secured through local tribal mediation.

An ICRC spokesperson said Malbrancke is now at the local Red Cross office in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, and is in good health.

He will return to France in the coming days.

Based on reporting by AFP, AP, and Reuters
This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum yet. Be the first to add one.

Most Popular