Monday, September 01, 2014


Bosnia

Mladic War-Crimes Trial Adjourned

Former Bosnian Serb army commander Ratko Mladic at his trial at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague on May 16.
Former Bosnian Serb army commander Ratko Mladic at his trial at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague on May 16.

Related Articles

Video Mladic Guilt 'Beyond Reasonable Doubt'

Amid tense courtroom scenes, prosecutors at the former Yugoslavia war crimes tribunal say the evidence shows "beyond reasonable doubt" that Ratko Mladic implemented a campaign to exterminate Muslims, Croats, and other non-Serbs during the 1992-1995 war in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
The United Nations war crimes tribunal has adjourned indefinitely the trial of former Bosnian Serb military chief Ratko Mladic -- just a day after it opened.

Alphons Orie, the presiding judge of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in the Dutch capital, The Hague, said on May 17 that he was suspending the trial due to "errors" made by prosecutors in presenting evidence to Mladic's defense lawyers.

The judge said he aims to establish a date for the resumption of the trial "as soon as possible."

Before the adjournment, prosecutors had described Mladic's alleged role in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.

They say there is evidence showing that troops under Mladic's command were responsible for the killing of some 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica, a northeastern Bosnian town.

The slaughter was the worst atrocity in Europe since World War II. 

Mladic, 70, is also accused of leading a criminal campaign to kill or drive out of Bosnia the Muslims, Croats, and other non-Serbs as part of a scheme to create a "Greater Serbia" during the 1992-1995 conflict.

Mladic has denied any wrongdoing.

He had spent 16 years in hiding before he was arrested in Serbia last year.

'Unassailable Evidence'

Speaking at The Hague court on May 17, ICTY prosecutor Peter McCloskey maintained that there was "overwhelming and unassailable" evidence that the killings at Srebrenica amounted to genocide.

McCloskey claimed there was evidence proving that Mladic not only was in command of the troops who committed the crimes, but was also "on the ground and personally involved" when the atrocities were taking place.

Mladic had also been indicted in relation to the 44-month siege of Sarajevo, during which more than 10,000 people died.

Prosecutors say they have evidence against Mladic from more than 400 witnesses.

Experts say a trial against Mladic could last up to three years. If convicted, Mladic faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Based on reporting by AFP and dpa
This forum has been closed.
Comment Sorting
Comments
     
by: vn from: Belgrade
May 17, 2012 13:08
Having met the five half-British daughters in Belgrade (they're half way from Scotland - ring a travelling bell?) and dealt with the Fifth one, I would be delighted to hear that the prosecutor is fluent in English and familiar with the UN and NGO scene in ex-Yugoslavia at the time, for he would need to embrace both in this "Argentina" case.

As for atrocities from WW II, I don't recall for instance, killings of young students and professors in Kragujevac/Serbia by Nazi Germans having been branded as genocide. The term, I believe, was "a reprisal - to kill a hundred Serbs for one dead German". And there was more than one dead German.

And if you so insist on recalling WW II - let's not miss the point of Muslims, especially Albanians joining the Nazi squads: an Albanian Waffen SS Division (in Kosovo and Metohija) and western Macedonia, the 21st Waffen Gebirgs Division der SS Skenderbegi, and a Muslim SS self-defense regiment in Sandzak/Serbia. But then, I am sure you can find out more from trained Yugoslav army officers.
In Response

by: BFD from: Odzak
May 17, 2012 15:57
Interim solution: deliver Mladic to the citizens of Srbrenica and let them administer justice by way of trial just as Mladic did to his victims.

BTW: Trained Jugoslav Army officers are a myth, like the yeti, sasquatch and stories of Albanian organ trafficking. If you know of any trained Jugoslav Army officers please point them out as the ones I've met were all brutish thugs and criminals.
In Response

by: vn from: Belgrade
May 18, 2012 05:18
To: BFD

A question: If the whole international community and now the UN Tribunal are claiming that Srebrenica was a genocide, one would have to wonder what citizens of Srebrenica you're talking about. Genocide means that the whole population has been wiped out, and there isn't a living soul in the area. The term would be more applicable to the Serbian lands in Croatia which have been left without the Serbs.

And as for the Yugoslav army officers I would also like to know why do generals of a fallen army get enormous pensions. They are not a myth but a sad case of corruption and giving way to non-Serbian interests.
In Response

by: BFD from: Odzak
May 18, 2012 10:43
vn,

I never claimed the massacre of 8K Muslim men and boys was genocide, that was the media. But the fact remains that Mladic must stand trial and face the inevitable consequence for his actions. If the Hague can't do it then let the survivors i.e. mothers, wives, children of those he butchered be his judge and jurors. That's way more compassion than what was displayed by him as he watched those men and boys being shot in the back and the back of the head by "trained Jugoslav officers.

Billy from Anus,

Milosevic committed suicide in his cell by ingesting pills provided by his family. Another cowardly act by the ultimate coward.

by: William from: Aragon
May 18, 2012 00:54
Sadly, this is going the same way as the Milošević case with questionable evidence and no verdict. The only difference is that Milošević was under US guard when he "died".

Most Popular