Monday, September 22, 2014


Armenia

More Nagorno-Karabakh Deaths Reported

x
By RFE/RL's Armenian Service

The situation around Azerbaijan's breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh remained strained on August 3, with Armenia and Azerbaijan accusing each other of escalating tensions.

The self-styled Defense Ministry of Nagorno-Karabakh said its forces had foiled another Azerbaijani attempt at infiltration. It said one Azerbaijani soldier was killed.

Meanwhile, an ethnic Armenian soldier wounded in clashes near Nagorno-Karabakh earlier this week reportedly died in hospital on August 3.

This is the fifth death reported by Nagorno-Karabakh’s authorities since the latest flare-up of tensions in the conflict zone.

Also on August 3, the Armenian Defense Ministry accused the Azerbaijani side of violating the cease-fire along the frontline nearly 900 times.

Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry, meanwhile, blamed the Armenian forces for the continuing tensions.

Armenian Prime Minister Hovik Abrahamian said a meeting between the presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan, Serzh Sarkisian and Ilham Aliyev, could be held as early as August 8-9 in the southern Russian resort of Sochi.

Most Popular