The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) has welcomed the outcome of the latest round of negotiations between Moldova and its breakaway Transdniester region.
The talks in Vienna ended on April 18 with an agreement on principles and procedures for future negotiations.
Moldova was represented by chief negotiator Eugen Carpov, while Transdniester's delegation was led by mediator Nina Shtanski.
The talks organized under the 5+2 format were also attended by representatives of the international mediators (the OSCE, Russia, and Ukraine) along with observers from the European Union and the United States.
The OSCE said a new round of negotiations was scheduled to take place in Vienna in July.
In the Moldovan capital, Chisinau, OSCE representative in Moldova Jennifer Brush on April 17 welcomed Russia's new envoy on Transdniester, Dmitry Rogozin, who had just completed his first trip to the breakaway region.
Brush said it was essential that international players do everything possible to resolve the 20-year-old standoff.
Predominantly Russian-speaking Transdniester, situated along Moldova's eastern border, declared independence in 1990, and the two sides fought a brief war in 1992.
On-and-off negotiations have brought no agreement so far.
With reporting by ITAR-TASS and Interfax