Thursday, August 21, 2014


Russia

Islamist Group Claims Volgograd Attack, Threatens Sochi Olympics

A screenshot of two men who claim in a video posted on the Internet that they were behind the Volgograd bombings.
A screenshot of two men who claim in a video posted on the Internet that they were behind the Volgograd bombings.
An Islamist militant group has claimed responsibility for two suicide bombings that killed at least 34 people last month in the Russian city of Volgograd.

In a video posted online, "Vilayat Daghestan" (Daghestan Province) also threatened to attack the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi next month.

The video showed two men which the U.S.-based SITE monitoring service said were believed to be the Volgograd bombers.

One of the men said: "We've prepared a present for you and all tourists who come over."

"If you hold the Olympics, you'll get a present from us for all the Muslim blood that's been spilled," he added.

SITE identified the two men as Suleiman and Abdul Rakhman. 

They were purportedly behind the Volgograd attacks on behalf of a group based in Russia's North Caucasus republic of Daghestan. 


Based on reporting by Reuters, AFP, and CNN

Most Popular