WATCH: Crowds jostle with what appears to be the dead body of former Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi. Jubilant National Transitional Council fighters celebrate the fall of Sirte.
The UN human rights office says there needs to be a full investigation into the circumstances of former Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi's death.
Rupert Colville, a spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, told reporters in Geneva that videos showing a captured Qaddafi first alive
, and then dead amid fighters of the transitional government near his hometown of Sirte on October 20 were "very disturbing."
The National Transitional Council (NTC) said Qaddafi was killed when a gunfight broke out between his supporters and government fighters. It said no order had been given to kill the man who ruled Libya for nearly 42 years.
Under mounting pressure over what critics said looked increasingly like a summary execution, NTC officials have announced postponement of Qaddafi's burial for a few days, and said that no decision has been made on where he is to be buried.
Libyans in the capital, Tripoli, and elsewhere in the North African country have been celebrating following the killing of Qaddafi.
Much of the international community has also welcomed Qaddafi's death
, and has called on Libyans now to work for a democratic future that stands in contrast to the brutality of Qaddafi's dictatorship.
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen meanwhile said the alliance has agreed to wind down the Libya operation until October 31.
He said the decision by ambassadors from the 28-member alliance meeting in Brussels was provisional, pending a formal decision next week.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy said Muammar Qaddafi's death in Sirte on October 20 meant NATO's military intervention was "coming to its end."
Speaking to reporters in Paris ahead of the meeting, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said NATO's military intervention was "clearly coming to its end."
In a UN-mandated operation to protect civilians, NATO has been conducting air strikes, enforcing a no-fly zone and maintaining an arms embargo with naval patrols since March 31.
France and Britain spearheaded the operation.
compiled from agency reports