Accessibility links

Argentina Tells Iran To Hand Over 1994 Bombing Suspects


Composition of pictures depicting the men for whom Argentina has issued an international arrest for the 1994 bombing

Composition of pictures depicting the men for whom Argentina has issued an international arrest for the 1994 bombing

The prosecutor investigating the worst terror attack on Argentine soil, the 1994 bombing of a Jewish charities building in Buenos Aires that killed 85 people, has urged Iran to hand over suspects in the case.

Prosecutor Alberto Nisman made the comments on July 16 after an Iranian Foreign Ministry statement said earlier in the day that Tehran, suspected by Argentina of being behind the attack, was "ready for a constructive dialogue" in the case.

Nisman said Iran's offer is just empty words unless it hands over the Iranian suspects sought by Argentina.

Israel has blamed Tehran and the Lebanese Shi'ite militia Hezbollah for carrying out the attack.

Argentina has issued warrants for the arrest of Iranian Defense Minister Ahmed Vahidi along with five other Iranians and a Lebanese accused of planning and carrying out the bombing.

Both Iran and Hezbollah have consistently denied any involvement.

compiled from agency reports

Show comments

XS
SM
MD
LG