Clashes between police and protesters have continued in the Egyptian capital for a second day as anger mounted over football-related violence that left 74 people dead.
The outbreak of violence after a football match in the coastal city of Port Said on February 1 was the world's worst soccer incident in 15 years.
Protesters blame the police and the country's military authorities of failing to prevent -- or even abetting -- the violence.
Riot police on on February 3 fired tear gas and shotgun pellets at demonstrators who had gathered near the Interior Ministry in Cairo, throwing rocks and lighting fires.
At least one person was reported killed and hundreds more were injured in two days of clashes in the capital.
Earlier on February 3, hundreds gathered in Cairo's central Tahrir Square chanting slogans against the military council that has ruled the country since President Hosni Mubarak was ousted in February last year.
A protester, Ahmed Mohamed, speaking in Tahrir Square on February 3 told Reuters: "We came here to protest the bloodshed of our brothers who were killed in Port Said. We want their rights to be respected. Now, the police is firing tear gas against us. I don't know why, but many people are falling down and we don't have any plans how to control the situation. The country is going through a big moment."
Protests were also held in the coastal city of Suez where at least two protesters were reported killed by police.
Egyptian media reports said that the police fired tear gas to prevent protesters from approaching local security headquarters in Suez. At least 15 people were reported injured.
Egypt's military authorities have dismissed several senior officials in response to the football violence.
The governor of Port Said has resigned while two local security chiefs have been suspended and are in custody.
Compiled from agency reports