Accessibility links

Egypt's Former Spy Chief Says Not Backed By Army


A man walks past a banner publicizing the presidential election in Cairo on April 5.

A man walks past a banner publicizing the presidential election in Cairo on April 5.

Egypt's former spy chief who is making a bid for the presidency says he does not have the backing of the country's military.

The 74-year-old Omar Suleiman announced his candidacy on April 6 and in less than two days collected double the needed 30,000 signatures to run.

Analysts say Suleiman's military background suggested to many that he had the backing of the ruling army council that took over from Hosni Mubarak in February last year.

But in an interview in today's state-run Al-Akhbar newspaper, Suleiman denied Egypt's ruling military council was backing him.

Suleiman, made vice president by Mubarak in the last days of his three-decade rule, symbolizes that era's tough security regime.
Based on Reuters reporting
XS
SM
MD
LG