Accessibility links

Monitor: IS Attack On Syria's Kobani Kills 146


A monitoring group says an attack by Islamic State fighters on the Syrian town of Kobani and a nearby village has so far killed at least 146 civilians -- the second-biggest massacre by the radical group in the country.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on June 26 that it was the largest single massacre of civilians by Islamic State since the killing of hundreds of members of the Sunni Muslim Sheitaat tribe in eastern Syria last year.

Islamic State re-entered Kobani at the Turkish border on June 25 and clashes have continued with Kurdish YPG forces in the town.

Kurdish forces, helped by U.S. and allied air support, had driven IS militants out of Kobani at the end of January after resisting a four-month siege of the city.

On June 25, IS fighters also stormed the northeastern Syrian city of Hasakeh, seizing several neighborhoods from government forces in heavy clashes.

Hasakeh is divided between government forces and Kurdish fighters.

Based on reporting by Reuters and AFP
XS
SM
MD
LG