Accessibility links

Fresh Violence In Syria As Russia Warns Against Disruptions

Fresh violence has been reported in Syria, despite a United Nations-brokered cease-fire that went into effect earlier this month.

Activists on April 24 reported that nearly 60 people were killed from shelling and gunfire by government forces, with most of the deaths occurring on April 23 in the city of Hama.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said most of the victims were civilians.

Meanwhile, Syrian state-run television said a car bomb wounded at least three people in central Damascus on April 24.

The report blamed "armed terrorists."

Neither the opposition nor government claims could be independently confirmed.

Also on April 24, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned both sides against disrupting the work of UN monitors who have been deployed to observe the cease-fire that went into effect on April 12.

Estimates say more than 9,000 people are feared to have been killed in the past year of violence in Syria.

Based on reporting by AFP and dpa