Monday, May 30, 2016


News

Two Guantanamo Prisoners Sent To Balkans; Third One Refuses To Leave

The United States has sent two prisoners from the Guantanamo Bay detention center to Balkan countries while a third prisoner has refused to leave the prison.

The Pentagon said in a statement on January 21 that Egyptian Tariq al-Sawah had been sent to Bosnia-Herzegovina and that Yemeni Abd al-Aziz al-Suwaydi had gone to Montenegro.

Fellow Yemeni Muhammad Bawazir was scheduled to go to an undisclosed country but refused to board the plane, the AP news agency reported.

Bawazir's lawyer, John Chandler, said his client had insisted on being sent to either Saudi Arabia, Yemen, the United Arab Emirates, or Indonesia, countries where he has relatives.

"He's very frightened of going to a place where he has no assured support," he said.

All three had been accused of working for or aiding the terrorist group Al-Qaeda and held as enemy combatants.

The release of the prisoners caps a busy month in which 16 captives at Guantanamo Bay were released and sent to third countries.

There are still 91 captives at the U.S. detention center in Cuba.

U.S. President Barack Obama had pledged while campaigning for president that he would close down Guantanamo Bay.

With reporting by AP
 

Most Popular

Editor's Picks