Wednesday, August 31, 2016


Afghanistan

Kunduz Governor Reappears, Vows To Spill His 'Last Drop Of Blood' Fighting Taliban

Governor Mohammad Omer Safi (left) has blamed the fall of Kunduz on "regional intelligence officials." (file photo)
Governor Mohammad Omer Safi (left) has blamed the fall of Kunduz on "regional intelligence officials." (file photo)

Related Articles

Video Taliban's Brutal Measures Belie 'Charm Offensive' In Captured Kunduz

The Taliban leadership is on a charm offensive to wins the hearts and minds of the people of Kunduz. But residents of the captured Afghan city say the hard-line militia is committing widespread abuses.

Video Fear, Disbelief As Taliban Takes Kunduz

With the Taliban in control of much of the northern Afghan city of Kunduz, and government forces engaged in a counteroffensive to take it back, residents say they're bracing for heavy fighting.

Video Afghans Await Kunduz Reinforcements

An expected Afghan government counteroffensive to retake Kunduz from the Taliban appears to have largely stalled as troops await reinforcements.
By RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan

KABUL -- The governor of the northern Afghan province of Kunduz -- who was outside the country when the provincial capital fell to Taliban fighters earlier this week -- has returned to Kabul and is dismissing reports that he had fled for Europe.

Mohammad Omer Safi told RFE/RL in Kabul on September 30 that he would defend Afghanistan until "the last drop of blood" was spilled from his body.

[Editor's note: Mohammad Omer Safi left his position as governor of Kunduz under unclear circumstances shortly after he was interviewed for this article. His former deputy, Hamdullah Danishi, was announced as acting governor in a statement issued by the presidential office on September 30.] 

Reports from local Afghan media noted that Safi had flown by helicopter from Kunduz to Tajikistan shortly before the Taliban launched a three-pronged attack on the low-lying areas of Kunduz city on September 28.

Some Afghan media reported that Safi subsequently fled to Europe.

Those reports prompted widespread conspiracy claims on social media, and criticism by some Afghan parliamentary deputies who alleged that Safi took bribe payments in exchange for handing Kunduz over to the Taliban.

Safi responded to those critics on September 30, telling RFE/RL that "unfortunately, Afghan people and politicians don't follow reality. And they just say irresponsible things in the media that could be very dangerous. The enemy can benefit from this."

Without specifying his destination, Safi said his trip abroad had been approved in advance by Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and that he had left the provincial capital in the charge of his deputy governor and the police brigade commander there.

He blamed the fall of Kunduz on "regional intelligence officials," saying it was their fault that Afghan security forces in some parts of the city were not prepared for the Taliban's sudden assault.

Safi also said that "the government and all security ministries were involved deeply in security tasks elsewhere in the country, so they didn't have enough time to take some precise measures regarding the defense of Kunduz."

WATCH: Afghans Flee Kunduz As Battle Rages

Afghans Flee Kunduz As Battle Ragesi
X
September 30, 2015
Afghan civilians are fleeing from the northern city of Kunduz as government forces backed by U.S. air support battle the Taliban. Afghan forces fought for control of the airport after Taliban fighters seized the city on Monday. (Reuters)

 

He said that "one of the mistakes that was not taken into consideration" was the number of security forces needed to defend the city against a concentrated assault by up to 2,000 Taliban fighters.

He said people from outside of Kunduz "think that 3,000 police are enough for a province with six administrative districts."

He also admitted that some Afghan security forces in the city "did not have strong defense posts" and that soldiers posted with nothing but tents were "vulnerable…and were forced to retreat."

As Afghan and NATO troops struggled to battle Taliban fighters outside of the provincial capital, and as the Taliban seized a strategic military base called Bala Hissar on the north side of the city, Safi vowed that he would return to the province soon.

He said Afghan forces were massing on four sides of the provincial capital and that he expected the situation "to change within 48 hours."

He said that, "Inshallah, Kunduz will be cleared" of Taliban fighters.

Written by Ron Synovitz in Prague with reporting from Kabul by RFE/RL Radio Free Afghanistan's Hasheem Mohmand

Most Popular

Editor's Picks