Officials say two separate Taliban attacks in Afghanistan have killed at least 14 civilians.
Amar Zwak, spokesman for the southern province of Helmand, said that five civilians were killed when a minivan struck a landmine in the Marjah district on the morning of August 17.
Earlier, an overnight insurgent attack on a road construction workers camp in the western province of Herat left nine laborers dead.
Local police officials say the Taliban attacked their camp in the Karukh district with rocket propelled grenades and automatic weapons.
A recent United Nations report says that, compared to last year, civilian casualties in Afghanistan rose 23 percent in the first six months of 2013.
The UN report said 1,319 civilians died and 2,533 were injured as a result of conflict in the country from January to the end of June.
Based on reporting by AFP, AP, and dpa