Thirteen Afghan soldiers have been killed in their sleep in an attack allegedly facilitated by fellow soldiers with suspected links to the Taliban, in the latest so-called "insider attack" in the country.
A senior police official in the northern city of Kunduz said on September 27 that two soldiers fled an outpost in the city and joined insurgents in the nighttime attack on their comrades.
The Taliban issued a statement claiming responsibility for the attack and saying that all the weapons at the outpost had been captured.
"The two soldiers fled after killing 12 sleeping colleagues in the Zakhil Khoman area of Kunduz," senior local police commander Aziz Kamawal told AFP before the death toll was raised. "We have launched an investigation into the incident."
The outpost was part of a ring of positions protecting Kunduz, which was briefly taken by the Taliban last year. It was the first time the Taliban held a provincial capital since they were driven from power in 2001.
Insider attacks have plagued both Afghan and foreign troops in the country, depleting morale and causing mistrust within the security ranks.