KABUL -- Suicide bombers have attacked Afghanistan's National Directorate of Security building in the capital.
The Interior Ministry said there were six suicide bombers involved in the attack.
"One of [the suicide bombers] committed suicide and five others were killed by the Afghan security forces," said the head of the Criminal Investigation Division of the Kabul Police Department, General Muhammad Zahir. "So far, 30 wounded civilians have been registered for treatment in Kabul hospitals. Now, the situation is completely calmed and Kabul police have full control over the situation.”
The Interior Ministry later released a statement that said one car bomb had exploded at the gate of the intelligence agency's compound and that a second vehicle packed with explosives was found nearby.
The statement said the explosives in the second vehicle were defused.
Two guards at the gate of the compound were killed when the car bomb exploded.
Witnesses said buildings in the area were severely damaged by the explosion.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed his group was responsible for the assault.
A car bomb targeting a U.S. company in Kabul exploded on December 17, killing one person and wounding at least 15 others.
The Taliban also claimed responsibility for that attack.
The latest attack will heighten concerns about security in Afghanistan after the bulk of NATO-led military forces in Afghanistan leave the country at the end of 2014.
With reporting by AP, AFP, and Reuters