The UN's special envoy to Afghanistan says the civilian death toll in the country has risen in 2013.
Jan Kubis, the UN special representative to Afghanistan, told the UN Security Council on December 17 that the UN recorded 2,730 dead and 5,169 injured in attacks in the first 11 months of this year.
He said that figure is 10 percent higher than in 2012, adding that armed opposition groups such as the Taliban are largely responsible.
A recent UN report said half of the casualties were caused by roadside bombs and suicide bombers.
Kubis also said that "increasing conflict" in previously quieter western and northern provinces is "creating some alarm."
Most foreign troops are scheduled to leave Afghanistan by the end of 2014.
Kubis expressed concern about a post-2014 "vacuum" if Kabul does not sign a security agreement with Washington.
With reporting by AP and AFP