Iran has held a closed door trial for 21 suspects in the storming of Saudi diplomatic missions in the country earlier this year, Iranian news agencies reported on July 18.
The suspects are accused of "disturbing the public order and damaging embassy buildings," the reports said. Only nine suspects appeared in the first hearing on July 17, state media reported.
Twelve other suspects were absent in the first hearing while some of them were represented by their lawyers, the semi-official Fars news agency said.
It wasn’t clear when the next hearing would take place.
A group of protesters stormed the Saudi embassy and its consulate in Mashhad in January in protest against the execution of prominent Saudi Shi’ite cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr.
Iranian authorities condemned the attacks on the diplomatic missions, and President Hassan Rohani called on the judiciary to punish the attackers.
Saudi Arabia cut its diplomatic relations with Iran over the storming of its missions.
Tensions have been on the rise in recent months between the two regional rivals.