Iran War Disrupts World Wrestling Championships In Bahrain
United World Wrestling, the Switzerland-based governing body for the sport, says that the world championships scheduled to be held in Bahrain this year have been postponed indefinitely.
In a joint statement issued with the Bahrain Olympic Committee and the country’s wrestling federation on May 22, it said the 2026 World Wrestling Championships, which had been scheduled for October 24-November 1 were postponed because of the Iran war, which has directly affected countries along the Persian Gulf.
The statement referred to the “the current geopolitical situation in the region” and the “uncertainty” surrounding the future of the conflict as well as its "broader impact on regional stability and international travel"
It added that the decision had been announced early in the hope of allowing enough time to select an alternative host for this year’s championships.
Bahrain is among the countries that have been directly targeted by missile and drone attacks by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps since the start of the US-Israeli war against the Islamic republic.
The country hosts one of the largest US military bases in the region.
Iran Talks See 'Slight Progress,' Says Rubio, Warns Against Toll For Hormuz Strait
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there has been "slight progress" in Pakistan-mediated talks to end the Iran war, while warning against what he described as Tehran's attempt to establish a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz, which he said no country should accept.
Speaking to reporters on May 22 in Helsingborg, Sweden, where he is attending the second day of a NATO foreign ministers' meeting, Rubio said discussions mediated by Pakistan had shown limited but positive movement
"There has been some slight progress," he said. "I don't want to exaggerate it, but there's been a little bit of movement, and that's good."
Rubio also criticized Iran's reported move to introduce a tolling system for the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz.
"Iran is trying to create a tolling system. They're trying to convince Oman, by the way, to join them in this tolling system in an international waterway," he said. "There is not a country in the world that should accept that."
Iranian State Media's Foster Child Story Lands Editor In Court -- Over A Head Scarf
A state-approved photo story intended to celebrate motherhood and volunteerism became a political controversy in Iran because the images used showed a woman unveiled at home. The photos were deleted within hours, and the news agency’s boss was later summoned by the authorities.
Read Kian Sharifi's story here
Dozens Of Iran-Linked Tankers In US Naval Blockade Area, Says Shipping Tracker
TankerTrackers, a firm that monitors global oil shipments using satellite data, says that the United States Navy has halted a large number of vessels under US sanctions off the eastern coast of Oman
In the latest instance, it said the Levine tanker, which is typically used to transport Iranian oil, "was pursued by a US Navy vessel after being redirected back into the Arabian Sea."
The tanker, which was carrying no cargo at the time, was placed under US sanctions in February 2026 as part of Iran’s “shadow fleet” used to circumvent restrictions.
According to TankerTrackers, despite increased US monitoring, a number of Iran-linked tankers that have not yet been sanctioned by the US Treasury Department have entered the area of the American naval blockade against Iran. The company said the number of such vessels stood at 49.
In recent weeks, the United States has intensified pressure on Iran’s oil shipping network through a naval blockade. At the same time, the Strait of Hormuz has remained nearly closed by the Iranian government, contributing to turmoil in global energy markets.
Some media reports also indicate that, amid tightening restrictions, Iran has been storing part of its oil on aging tankers and attempting to continue exports through indirect routes or by disabling tracking systems.
Iranian, Pakistan Ministers Meet In Tehran Over Peace Proposals
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi has met Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi in Tehran to discuss proposals aimed at ending the US-Israeli war with Iran, according to Iranian media reports.
The talks on May 22 came two days after Naqvi delivered Washington’s latest message to Tehran as efforts continued to bridge differences over Iran’s uranium stockpile and controls on the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran’s semiofficial ISNA news agency said Naqvi was helping facilitate communication to establish a framework for ending the conflict.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on May 21 that there had been “some good signs” in negotiations, though he warned no agreement was possible if Tehran imposed a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz.
A senior Iranian source told Reuters that gaps had narrowed between the two sides, but the key sticking points were still uranium enrichment and the strait, which accounted for some 20 percent of global oil and gas supplies before the war,
The conflict has disrupted global markets, driving oil prices higher and fueling inflation concerns.
With reporting by Reuters
We are now closing the live blog for the day. We'll be back at 9:30 a.m. Central European time to cover the latest events across the Middle East.
US House Republicans Postpone War Powers Vote Likely To Go Against Trump
Republican leaders of the US House of Representatives suddenly canceled a May 21 vote on a resolution aimed at forcing President Donald Trump to obtain authorization from Congress to continue the Iran war.
The unexpected move came two days after a similar measure passed through the US Senate.
The vote had been scheduled to take place just before lawmakers left Washington for their Memorial Day recess.
The House had blocked three previous war powers resolutions, with near-unanimous support from Republicans.
But margins had become increasingly narrow, with the most-recent resolution failing in a tie vote. The May 21 appeared likely to pass as more Republicans were expected to vote with Democrats.
If the resolution passes both houses of Congress, Trump would still have the ability to veto to action.
With reporting from Reuters
Trump, Rubio Warn Against Iranian Tolling System In Strait Of Hormuz
US President Donald Trump says that the United States does not want any tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz, as negotiations to end the war remain uncertain.
Control over the strategic waterway has become central to any potential peace agreement since Iran effectively closed the strait during the first joint US-Israeli air strikes on the country on February 28.
Shortly after the outbreak of the conflict, Iran effectively seized control of the strait by threatening and attacking commercial shipping, bringing maritime traffic to a near standstill.
It has since sought to formalize that control through a new permit-and-toll system overseen by the newly established Persian Gulf Strait Authority.
Before leaving for a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on May 21 that a diplomatic agreement between the United States and Iran would be "unfeasible" if Tehran continued pursuing the implementation of a tolling system in the waterway.
"No one in the world is in favor of the tolling system. It can't happen. It would be unacceptable," he said. "It's a threat to the world if they try to do that, and it's completely illegal."
Another major sticking point in the negotiations is Iran’s nuclear program.
While Tehran has ruled out transferring its enriched uranium to the United States, Trump said Washington would seek to retrieve Iran’s stockpile.
"We will get it. We don't need it, we don't want it, he said at the White House on May 21. "We'll probably destroy it after we get it, but we're not going to let them have it."
Trump's latest comments came after he repeatedly raised the prospect over the past week that the cease-fire with Iran could collapse and lead to renewed US military strikes.
With reporting by Reuters
Iranian State News Agency Editor Summoned Over Unveiled Photos Of Female Writer
Iran’s judiciary says that the editor in chief of the state-run IRNA news agency was summoned to the prosecutor’s office for publishing photos of Iranian writer Sara Kan'ani without a hijab, or Islamic head scarf.
In a statement on May 21, the judiciary said that, following the publication of images of a woman not complying with the country’s Islamic dress code, the editor was summoned to the Culture and Media Prosecutor’s Office "to provide explanations.”
The statement added that IRNA had been warned “at the moment of publication” to remove the images.
On May 19, IRNA published photos of Kan'ani without the officially mandated hijab inside her private home as part of a human-interest story. Within minutes, pressure mounted on social media. A few hours later, the agency quietly deleted several images and revised the photo essay without explanation or a correction notice.
During the recent US and Israeli war against Iran, Kan'ani had temporarily cared for an orphaned infant.
The news agency had framed the story about her as a tribute to volunteerism, welfare institutions, and what it called "family-centered culture."
With reporting by RFE/RL's Radio Farda
Defying The US, Iran Is Cementing Its Control Over The Strait Of Hormuz
Iran is transforming its wartime control of the Strait of Hormuz into a formal permit-and-toll system, despite US warnings and a parallel American naval blockade.
According to the Windward maritime intelligence firm, Tehran is “converting the strait from a disrupted transit corridor into a state-administered permit and toll regime,” while one lawyer called the move “flat-out illegal under international law.”
Yet with global energy supplies at stake, many operators may still be willing to pay.
Read our report by Frud Bezhan here.