Iran's navy says its warships have entered the Mediterranean after crossing the Suez Canal to show Tehran's "might" to regional states.
Commander Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said in remarks quoted on February 18 by the official IRNA news agency that Iranian Navy ships have passed through the Suez "for the second time since the Islamic Revolution."
Sayyari did not say how many vessels had crossed the canal, but said the flotilla had previously docked in the Saudi port of Jeddah.
Iranian media had reported that two ships, the destroyer "Shahid Qandi" and the supply vessel "Kharg," had docked in the Red Sea port on February 4.
Israel's Foreign Ministry said the ship's movements will be closely watched to ensure they do not approach its coast.
The first Iranian presence in the Mediterranean was reported in February 2011.
Compiled from agency reports