Egyptian officials say more than 100 bodies have been pulled out of the waters off the Egyptian coast as the death toll from the capsizing of a smuggler's boat continues to mount.
Mohammed Sultan, the governor of Beheira province, told the Associated Press that 115 bodies had been retrieved following the accident on September 21 some 12 kilometers offshore of the Nile Delta port city of Rosetta.
The United Nations refugee agency, the UNHCR, says that the boat was overloaded with some 450 people, while the state news agency MENA said earlier that the number might have been as high as 600.
Some 150 people, mostly Egyptians, survived the capsizing. Many of the dead are women and children who were unable to swim away from the wreckage and await rescue.
Egypt has been a traditional route for migrants seeking to reach Europe by sea.
Based on reporting by Reuters and AFP