Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak says the investigation into the downing last year of a Malaysian passenger airliner over eastern Ukraine is "really close to naming those guilty."
Speaking at a commemoration in Kuala Lumpur to mark the first anniversary of the July 17, 2014, tragedy that left 298 people dead, the prime minister said on July 11 that the investigation is "expected to be finished at the end of 2015 at least."
"We call on all nations concerned to provide the fullest cooperation, so that we will be able to gather irrefutable evidence as to what happened and especially as to who were responsible for this unforgivable incident," Najib said.
Malaysia and other countries participating in the Joint Investigation Team -- Australia, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Ukraine -- are pushing for the establishment of a UN-mandated international tribunal to prosecute those accused of shooting down the plane.
Russia said on July 9 that it would oppose such a resolution.
Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was traveling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it was shot down over eastern Ukraine over the zone where the Ukrainian government is battling Russia-backed separatists.
Kyiv says the plane was downed by separatists using a surface-to-air missile system provided to them by Moscow. Russia says the Ukrainian military shot down MH17.
"Closure to this incident is absolutely vital," Najib said on July 11, "so that all the relatives of victims can continue with their lives. Therefore, the ultimate action of finding who were responsible and bringing them to justice must be carried out."