Russia's Federal Migration Service says U.S. journalist David Satter has the right to appeal a decision that bars him from entering the country for five years.
Deputy chief Dmitry Demidenko told journalists on January 15 that Satter was in Russia in late November 2013 without a valid visa "and therefore violated the rules of his stay."
He said a new regulation that took effect in August 2013 stipulated administrative expulsion as the only possible sanction.
The U.S. State Department said it was "disappointed
" by Moscow's decision.
Satter, 66, had been living and working in Russia since September 2013 as an adviser to RFE/RL's Russian Service.
Satter, who left Russia for Ukraine at the start of December, reapplied for a Russian visa in Kyiv.
He said he received notification that his request was approved but was told later that his presence in Russia was considered "undesirable."
Based on reporting by Interfax and RIA Novosti