Accessibility links

Breaking News
Ten-year-old Sasha stands in a bomb shelter in Donetsk in eastern Ukraine.
Ten-year-old Sasha stands in a bomb shelter in Donetsk in eastern Ukraine.

Live Blog: Ukraine In Crisis (Archive)

Follow all of the latest developments as they happen.

Final News Summary For September 29

-- We have started a new Ukraine Live Blog. Find it here.

-- Ukraine is marking 75 years since the World War II massacre of 33,771 Jews on the outskirts of Nazi-occupied Kyiv.

-- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has urged Russian President Vladimir Putin to stabilize a fragile cease-fire in Ukraine and do all he could to improve what Merkel called a "catastrophic humanitarian situation" in Syria.

-- Russia's Supreme Court has upheld a decision by a Moscow-backed Crimean court to ban the Mejlis, the self-governing body of Crimean Tatars in the occupied Ukrainian territory.

* NOTE: Times are stated according to local time in Kyiv (GMT/UTC +3)

12:23 5.1.2016

09:55 5.1.2016

09:15 5.1.2016

08:07 5.1.2016

Russian soldiers linked to MH17 downing:

Dutch prosecutors are investigating a claim by a citizen-journalist group that at least 20 Russian soldiers were involved in the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine in 2014.

The Britain-based Bellingcat group said it had identified up to 100 Russian soldiers who may have knowledge of the movements of the Buk missile launcher that destroyed the Boeing 777 on July 17, 2014, killing all 298 on board.

In an interview with the Dutch TV channel NOS on January 3, Bellingcat founder Eliot Higgins said his organization believed at least 20 soldiers in an air-defense unit based in Kursk "probably" either fired the missile or know who fired it.

The sources for the group's findings include the soldiers' social-media accounts, photos posted online, and army data about personnel deployment that was available online.

"We have the names and photos of the soldiers in the June convoy who traveled with the MH17 Buk, their commanders, their commanders’ commanders, etc," Higgins told the London Telegraph.

He added that the group's redacted 123-page report on the matter will be released shortly.

Bellingcat specializes in trawling through data on social media and other online sources. It has been investigating the crash since it occurred.

It reported in 2014 that a Buk mobile launcher was spotted on July 17 in an area controlled by pro-Russian separatists and said that the missile launcher came from a military convoy from Russia's 53rd Antiaircraft Brigade -- a unit based in Kursk but sent on maneuvers near the Ukrainian border.

Dutch prosecutors in charge of the official investigations of the MH17 crash said on January 4 that they were investigating the claims that Russians were involved.

"We received the report just after Christmas," Wim de Bruin, a spokesman for the Dutch prosecutor's office, told AFP.

"We will seriously study it and determine whether it can be used for the criminal inquiry," he said.

A criminal investigation by the prosecutors’ office is expected to name suspects in the case later this year.

An air-accident investigation by the Dutch Safety Board released in October concluded that the Boeing 777 was destroyed by a Buk antiaircraft missile fired from a position inside separatist territory.

Russia has denied sending troops or weapons into eastern Ukraine at any time since the war broke out in 2014, and has blamed Kyiv for the shootdown.

The Donetsk People's Republic, the Russian-backed group that controls the area, insists it never had access to BUK missiles and has dismissed evidence showing a BUK launcher operating in the area when the jet was shot down. (AFP, Telegraph)

08:05 5.1.2016

Cybersleuths say Ukraine blackout first caused by malware:

Highly destructive computer malware infected power authorities in Ukraine last week and caused a power failure that affected hundreds of thousands of homes, researchers say.

The outage on December 23 left about half of the homes in the Ivano-Frankivsk region of Ukraine without electricity. Researchers from security firm iSIGHT Partners, who studied samples of the malicious code that infected at least three regional operators, confirmed the malware led to "destructive events" that in turn caused the blackout.

"It's a milestone," John Hultquist of iSIGHT told Arstechnica.com. "It's the major scenario we've all been concerned about for so long."

"This is the first time we have proof and can tie malware to a particular outage," Trend Micro researcher Kyle Wilhoit told Reuters. "It is pretty scary."

Antivirus provider ESET said multiple Ukrainian power authorities were infected by "BlackEnergy," a package discovered in 2007 that has been repeatedly updated to include new destructive functions.

Until now, BlackEnergy has mainly been used to spy on news organizations, power companies, and other industrial groups. A Moscow-backed group, Sandworm, is suspected of using it for targeted attacks. (Reuters, Arstechnica.com)

22:22 4.1.2016

This ends our live blogging for January 4. Be sure to check back tomorrow for our continuing coverage.

19:53 4.1.2016

18:46 4.1.2016

18:28 4.1.2016

17:47 4.1.2016

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG