The Pentagon says a U.S. soldier accused of massacring 16 civilians on March 11 in Afghanistan has been transferred out of the country.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said the soldier, a sergeant whose name has not been released, was flown out of Afghanistan and transferred to another detention facility based on a "legal recommendation."
Afghan lawmakers have called for the soldier to face public trial in an Afghan court.
But according to a treaty between Kabul and Washington, the U.S. military courts have jurisdiction.
U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said earlier that the soldier could face the death penalty under U.S. laws if convicted.
The Taliban has called for the soldier to be tried as a war criminal and executed by relatives of the victims.
With Reuters, AP, and AFP reporting