The U.S. military and the Afghan government have reached a deal to withdraw U.S. special forces from the eastern Wardak Province as ordered by Afghan President Hamid Karzai last month.
Karzai had blamed special forces-controlled Afghan militia fighters for abuses against civilians in the province.
The U.S. military has denied that claim.
U.S. General Joseph Dunford, the commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, met with President Karzai on March 20.
Following the meeting Dunford said they reached an agreement on a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. forces from the province.
Dunford said the first troops to leave would be those deployed in the Nerkh district, one of eight districts in Wardak Province.
The Afghan Defense Ministry said regular Afghan troops would soon be deployed in Wardak.
Based on reporting and AFP and AP