A monitor says a U.S. air strike in Yemen last month killed the senior Al-Qaeda figure who appeared in a video claiming the deadly January attack on French magazine Charlie Hebdo.
The SITE Intelligence Group said Nasser bin Ali al-Ansi, who was killed in the April strike along with his eldest son and other fighters in the port city of Mukalla, also appeared in Al-Qaeda videos claiming the capture and death of U.S. hostage Luke Somers.
The announcement of his death came in a video posted on May 7 on Twitter by Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula -- which Washington considers the international terror network's deadliest branch.
The air raid appears to have been carried out overnight on April 21-22, when witnesses in Mukalla said an apparent U.S. drone strike on a vehicle parked near the presidential palace in the city killed six suspected Al-Qaeda militants.
SITE described Ansi as "a senior AQAP official and military strategist.