March 17, 2006 -- Regional authorities in Afghanistan today confirmed they had found the bodies of four foreign workers who had been recently kidnapped in the country's south.
Kandahar Governor Asadullah Khalid said the bodies were discovered idden under brush and sticks in a valley in the Maiwand district.
A roadside bomb hit the police convoy that was bringing back the bodies, killing five people.
At least three of the foreign workers are believed to be ethnic Albanians from Macedonia. All four were employed by a German contractor working for U.S. and Afghan troops.
A purported Taliban spokesman on March 13 claimed responsibility for the abductions and said the ousted religious militia had shot them.
(compiled from agency reports)