President Karzai has appointed a commission to investigate the civilian deaths (epa)
October 27, 2006 -- NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan today confirmed at least 12 civilian deaths in the south of the country earlier this week.
ISAF spokesman Andre Salloum said the force is investigating reports that many more civilians were killed.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai has appointed a commission to investigate claims that several dozens of civilians were killed in NATO strikes targeting Taliban militants in southern Afghanistan.
ISAF has said 48 Taliban militants were killed in three engagements, including air strikes, in Kandahar on October 24.
Local officials have said that at least 60 people were killed in bombing attacks in Kandahar on the same day.
A U.S. military vehicle damaged by insurgents near Kandahar (epa)
HOMEGROWN OR IMPORTED? As attacks against Afghan and international forces continue relentlessly, RFE/RL hosted a briefing to discuss the nature of the Afghan insurgency. The discussion featured Marvin Weinbaum, professor emeritus of political science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and RFE/RL Afghanistan analyst Amin Tarzi.
Listen to the entire briefing (about 83 minutes):Real Audio Windows Media
RFE/RL's coverage of Afghanistan
For weekly news and analysis on Afghanistan by e-mail, subscribe to "RFE/RL Afghanistan Report."