2. In 1987 Imelda Marcos denies she has over 3,000 pairs of shoes, claiming a more modest 1,060.
3. In 1979, in an altercation between players and fans, Mike Milbury of the Boston Bruins grabs a fan's shoe and uses it to hit him with.
4. Naomi Campbell comes a cropper on the runway in Paris, on account of her shoes.
5. Saddam's statue comes down in Baghdad. Iraqis throw shoes at it.
6. On a transatlantic flight Richard Reid, a British airline passenger and would-be bomber, tries to light a fuse protruding from his shoe.
7. George W. Bush takes evasive action as he has a pair of shoes thrown at him - one shoe after the other.
-- Luke Allnutt