Accessibility links

Breaking News
Rights activist Narges Mohammadi (file photo)
Rights activist Narges Mohammadi (file photo)

live Iranian Nobel Laureate Narges Mohammadi 'Sent Home' From Hospital

Updated

As the US-Israeli war with Iran continues to impact and shape the region, journalists from RFE/RL's Central Newsroom and Iranian service, Radio Farda, deliver ongoing updates and analysis.

Key Takeaways:

11:01 17.5.2026

Report: Black Market Thriving For Iran's 'Internet Pro'

The transformation of free Internet access into a luxury and underground commodity has allowed Iran's distribution network to become rife with systemic corruption, a report has found.

The Khabar Online website reported that a black market has thrived since Iran's nationwide Internet shutdown -- almost at 80 days as of May 17 -- began.

Rather than a total blackout, authorities have maintained an elaborate whitelisting system of selectively granting connectivity to favored institutions, companies, and individuals while leaving the rest of the population cut off.

That system has been formalized further through a paid scheme called Internet Pro that allows business owners and academics to purchase access at pre-shutdown levels, a development critics have quickly labeled a form of tiered or class-based Internet.

According to the report, which was published on May 16, an informal network of brokers has been formed who, in exchange for millions of dollars, register applicants as employees of companies or members of guilds in order to gain access to the Internet.

These brokers exploit regulatory loopholes to register applicants' names on company lists.

Amnesty International has criticized Iranian authorities for imposing what it calls "digital darkness," describing access to the Internet as "a basic human right and indispensable in times of conflict."


09:27 17.5.2026

US Lets Russian Oil Waiver Linked To Iran War Expire, Reimposing Sanctions

WASHINGTON -- The Trump administration has allowed a controversial waiver on sanctions targeting Russian seaborne oil to expire, reimposing restrictions that had temporarily enabled countries such as India to continue purchasing Russian crude despite Western efforts to curb Moscow's wartime revenues.

The move, which took effect on May 16 after the Treasury Department declined to renew General License 134B, highlights the increasingly difficult balance Washington faces between tightening pressure on the Kremlin and preventing further disruption to global energy markets already rattled by the Iran conflict and instability around the Strait of Hormuz.

The waiver, first introduced in March and extended in April, permitted transactions involving certain Russian oil cargoes that had already been loaded onto tankers before sanctions deadlines took effect.

Administration officials defended the measure as a temporary safeguard aimed at preventing a deeper global energy shock as fighting in the Middle East pushed oil prices higher and threatened key shipping routes.

To read the full report, click here.

03:12 17.5.2026

We are now closing the live blog for the day. We'll be back at 7:30 a.m. Central European time to cover the latest events across the Middle East.

03:10 17.5.2026

Massive US Aircraft Carrier Returns Home After Middle East Deployment

A US aircraft carrier that was deployed to the Middle East before the outbreak of war in Iran has returned to the US after a 326-day mission, the Pentagon said on May 16.

Defense chief Pete Hegseth was in Norfolk, Virginia, to greet the return of the USS Gerald R. Ford, the largest aircraft carrier in the world, the US military said.

It was the longest deployment for a US carrier strike group since the Vietnam War.

The carrier was sent to the Middle East to participate in combat operations against Iran after it took part in US operations in the Caribbean, where US forces have carried out strikes on alleged drug-smuggling boats, intercepted tankers, and captured Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro.

The USS George H.W. Bush -- the largest aircraft carrier in the world.
The USS George H.W. Bush -- the largest aircraft carrier in the world.
00:06 17.5.2026

Iran Soccer Team Set To Travel To Turkey For World Cup Preparations

Iran's soccer team is scheduled to travel to Antalya, Turkey, on May 18 to begin its training camp, compete in friendlies, and to finalize formalities ahead of its planned journey to the US for the 2026 World Cup.

A squad of 30 players is traveling for the training camp, but the number will be reduced to a maximum of 26 for the World Cup.

Iran is looking to play two friendlies -- exhibition matches -- in Antalya. A match against Gambia is set for May 29.

A farewell ceremony was held in Tehran for Iran's national soccer team ahead of its 2026 World Cup departure.
A farewell ceremony was held in Tehran for Iran's national soccer team ahead of its 2026 World Cup departure.

Visa formalities will be one of the challenges faced by the Iranian squad. Tehran and Washington cut diplomatic relations in 1980.

"No visas have been issued yet," Mehdi Taj, the Iranian football federation head, told Iranian media on May 14.

The US-Israeli war with Iran has led to uncertainty around the team's participation in the World Cup. FIFA President Gianni Infantino said at the soccer governing body's annual congress in Vancouver last month that: "of course, Iran will play in the United States of America."

Iran's Taj was refused entry into Canada for the conference because of his links to the Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC).

Iran had requested that its matches scheduled for US sites be moved to Mexico, which is co-hosting the event along with the US and Canada. The request was denied.

The squad is scheduled to begin its World Cup play against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15 June, then face Belgium on June 21, also in Los Angeles, and then Egypt in Seattle on June 26.

22:09 16.5.2026

Iran Plans To Reopen Its Stock Market After Wartime Suspension

Iran plans to reopen its ⁠stock ⁠market ‌on May 19 after being suspended during the active phase war with the US and Israel, Iran's IRNA news agency reported, cited a ⁠senior official.

"The suspension of stock market activities from the start of the war was aimed at protecting ‌shareholders' assets, preventing panic-driven trading and allowing for more transparent pricing conditions," Hamid Yari of Iran's Securities and Exchange Organization said on May 16.

"Now, ‌with the reopening of the ⁠stock market, ‌we will see the full resumption of all capital market sectors," he added.

21:40 16.5.2026

Iranian Authorities Report 30 Executions Since Start of the War

Iranian authorities reported that 30 people have been executed on political grounds since the beginning of the country's conflict with the United States and Israel on February 28.

The report released on May 16 by Iran's judicial system said that those executed were found guilty of “espionage” and “terrorism” in cases related to large-scale anti-government protests that took place across the country earlier in the year.

According to the report, 36 more people were sentenced to long prison terms, property belonging to 400 journalists was confiscated, and the bank accounts of dozens of bloggers and activists were frozen.

On May 14, Iran Human Rights (IHRNGO) said that hard-line rulers in Tehran have executed at least 14 participants in the protests in recent weeks, while six more were hanged after being charged with spying for Israel.

Last month, UN Human Rights Chief Volker Turk called on Iran to "establish a moratorium on the use of capital punishment" and release prisoners "arbitrarily detained."

"I am appalled that -- on top of the already severe impacts of the conflict -- the rights of the Iranian people continue to be stripped from them by the authorities, in harsh and brutal ways," he said.

Iran is one of the world's biggest executioners, hanging hundreds of people per year, many for drug-related offenses and homicide.

Two of the latest executions came on May 13 when Ehsan Afrashteh, a cybersecurity and network specialist, was hanged on charges of espionage for Israel, followed hours later by the execution of Mohammad Abbasi, who took part in mass protests in January, on charges of killing a security officer.

'Forced Confessions': Iranian Prisoners Speak Amid Wave Of Executions 'Forced Confessions': Iranian Prisoners Speak Amid Wave Of Executions
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:02:04 0:00
20:54 16.5.2026

Putin Discusses Middle East Conflict With UAE Counterpart

The Kremlin said Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed the Middle East conflict with his United Arab Emirates counterpart, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

“Both sides emphasized the importance of continuing the political and diplomatic process aimed at reaching compromise-based peace agreements,” a statement published on May 16 said.

The discussion follows a heated exchange between Tehran, Moscow’s longtime military ally, and Abu Dhabi.

On May 15, the UAE’s Minister of State, Khalifa bin Shaheen Al Marar, rejected what he called Iran’s “attempts to justify” its attacks on Gulf countries, after Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi wrote on Telegram that the UAE had been “an active partner” in what he called “US aggression.”

“The UAE reserves all its sovereign, legal, diplomatic, and military rights to confront any threat, claim, or hostile act,” Marar said. “It reserves its full and legitimate right to defend its sovereignty and territorial integrity to ensure the protection of its citizens, residents, and visitors.”

His statement added that the UAE said it has been subjected to about 3,000 missile and drone attacks since the beginning of the joint US-Israeli war with Iran on February 28.

20:29 16.5.2026

New Israeli Strikes Reported In Lebanon

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Al Qlailah on May 16, 2026.
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Al Qlailah on May 16, 2026.

Lebanon's state news agency NNA reported that Israel struck more than 20 villages on May 16, while Tel Aviv said it targeted Hezbollah militants and issued an evacuation warning to civilians in nine villages.

The development comes a day after the United States said Israel and Lebanon have agreed to a 45-day extension of a cease-fire to "enable further progress" and announced US-mediated follow-up talks later this month and in June.

"We hope these discussions will advance lasting peace between the two countries, full recognition of each other’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and establishing genuine security along their shared border," State Department spokesperson Tommy Pigott wrote on X on May 15.

Israel has been launching strikes targeting Hezbollah militant group in Lebanon since March 2, two days after the start of the US-Israeli war with Iran, when Hezbollah forces opened fire in support of Tehran.

Hezbollah controls much of southern Lebanon. It is considered a terrorist organization by the United States, while the European Union has only blacklisted its armed wing.

A truce in place since April 17 has reduced fighting between Israel and Hezbollah but has not stopped it; hundreds of people have been killed in strikes since then and each side has accused the other of numerous violations.

Authorities in Lebanon say some 2,900 people have been killed since fighting resumed in early March, including about 200 children. RFE/RL cannot independently verify the claim.

17:00 16.5.2026

CENTCOM Says 78 Ships Forced To Change Course During Iran Naval Blockade

The US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced that 78 commercial ships have been forced to change course as part of the Iranian naval blockade.

Posting a video of a US military helicopter flying over the waters near the Strait of Hormuz on X on May 16, CENTCOM also announced that four vessels have been "disabled ensure compliance."

The command had previously said 15 ships carrying humanitarian aid had been allowed to pass, and in some cases, US forces had forced the ships to change course by radio contact and firing warning shots.

The United States began a naval blockade of Iranian ports after direct talks with Iran failed, while Iran has blocked the Strait of Hormuz since the beginning of US-Israeli strikes on Iran on February 28.

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG