Accessibility links

Breaking News
A woman rests near rubble in the Syrian town of Darat Izza in Aleppo Province on February 28.
A woman rests near rubble in the Syrian town of Darat Izza in Aleppo Province on February 28.

Live Blog: Tracking Islamic State

Follow all of the latest developments as they happen.

Latest News For February 29

-- The United States Army's elite Delta Force is on the verge of beginning operations to target, capture or kill top IS operatives in Iraq, after several weeks of covert preparation, an administration official with direct knowledge of the force's activities told CNN.

-- Syrian government forces have regained control of a road used by the army to access Aleppo, after making advances against Islamic State fighters, a monitoring group and state television reported.


-- Authorities in Iraq say the death toll from a double bombing at a market in Baghdad’s Shi’ite neighborhood of Sadr City rose to 73 on February 29 after several critically wounded victims died overnight.

-- Tajik media are reporting that a woman known to be the second wife of Gulmurod Halimov, the fugitive Tajik colonel who defected to the IS group, has left for Syria along with the couple's four young children.

-- The UN is poised to begin delivering aid to people living in besieged areas of Syria, making use of a truce brokered by the United States and Russia. The first deliveries are planned for Feb. 29, with aid due to reach about 150,000 Syrians in besieged areas over the next five days.

-- A truce negotiated between Syrian rebels and the government has caused a dramatic decrease in airstrikes around rebel-held territory, but there were few celebrations, with many residents suspecting a trick, CNN report.

* NOTE: Live blog posts are time-stamped according to Central European Time (CET).

13:07 25.11.2015

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has said that attacks on Turkomans -- ethnic Turks in Syria -- could not be carried out under the pretext of fighting the IS group, Reuters reports.

A Turkoman rebel group in Latakia province claimed yesterday that it had shot and killed both Russian pilots from the downed Su-24 jet, but Russia announced this morning that one of the men -- the plane's navigator -- had been rescued.

13:05 25.11.2015

Kommersant has more detailed quotes from Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov's earlier comments during his press conference -- which is still ongoing in Moscow.

"We are not planning to fight with Turkey, relations with the Turkish people have not changed, we have questions about the actions of the current Turkish leadership."

Lavrov said that Russia has "always sought to establish practical, pragmatic relations with our Turkish neighbors, including in the context of the Syrian crisis."

Lavrov said that the recommendation that Russians do not visit Turkey was not "revenge" for the Su-24 incident and "was not made in a hot-headed manner. We evaluated the presence of a terrorist threat in Turkey entirely objectively."

Lavrov said that he had talked this morning on the telephone with Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu. "Of course we waited for some kind of explanation from the Turkish side yesterday and at the highest level. But better late than never."

12:39 25.11.2015

Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov says it's "no secret" that terrorists use Turkish territory.

12:33 25.11.2015

Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov: Russia is seriously rethinking its relations with Turkey. Russia is not planning to fight with Turkey.

12:31 25.11.2015

"There are not only militants but terrorist infrastructure in the area where the Su-24 was shot down," says Lavrov.

It is not clear but the Russian Foreign Minister could be referring to the two North Caucasian militant groups in northern Latakia, one of which --Junud al-Sham -- is believed to run a training camp for new miltiants. Russia said yesterday that the Su-24 had been engaged in strikes against North Caucasian militants in the area.

12:29 25.11.2015

"Moscow has raised big questions as to whether the emergency hotline was not activated by Turkey either before or after the incident with the Su-24," says Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov.

12:26 25.11.2015

Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov is making some very harsh statements.

Lavrov is quoted by RIA Novosti as saying, "The head of the Turkish Foreign Ministry could not answer the question of whether Ankara agreed the actions against the Russian Su-24 with the U.S."

12:24 25.11.2015

Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov: "The incident with the Russian Su-24 looks like a planned provocation."

12:22 25.11.2015

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov is speaking now about the Su-24 incident.

Lavrov says that the Turkish Foreign Ministry tried to justify the actions of the Turkish air force by talking about a border violation.

12:20 25.11.2015

Iran's Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, has told his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov that the downing of the Russian Su -24 jet could lead to an escalation of the Syrian crisis, Iranian news websites are reporting.

Zarif spoke to Lavrov by telephone yesterday evening, November 24, Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman said this morning.

The Iranian Foreign Minister said the Su-24 incident had "sent the wrong signal to terrorists."

Iran, like Russia, is a major ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his government.

Load more

XS
SM
MD
LG